Alterra Landscape Design, located in the Dallas, Texas area, is dedicated to bringing you a custom, outdoor living space that you can enjoy with your friends and family. We know that with our help, you will be more inclined to spend your time outdoors relaxing after a hard day’s work or partying it up on the weekends. Living in the great state of Texas has its charm and its own hardship when it comes to outdoor spaces. Yes, today we’re talking about bugs, mosquitos specifically. In the United States, there are 200 different kinds of mosquitos and they all seem to be right here in Texas so, how do you repel them? Sticky repellent spray? Candles? Tiki torches? We at Alterra like to use plants as a natural mosquito repellent in our outdoor living spaces. Plants that have the capability of repelling the pesky mosquitos and other insects include:
- Basil: You’ve probably had this on a margherita pizza or in a summer cocktail, but that’s not its only use. This plant gives off an aroma to deter mosquitos and keep them away just by being planted.
- Catnip: If you have outdoor cats, this may not be the plant for you, but it has been scientifically shown to repel mosquitos because of a chemical called nepetalactone. This plant will spread around your garden giving you coverage from mosquitos all around.
- Citronella grass and scented geraniums: Even in the hot, Texas summers these plants thrive and when they bloom, they add a nice pop of color to your outdoor space.
- Lavender: Out of all of the mosquito repelling plants, this one is the most versatile in the Texas climate. Lavender can survive the heat with proper watering, can be planted either in the ground or in a decorative pot, and it gives off the most soothing smell to help you relax.
- Sage and rosemary: If you’re interested in adding a fire pit, these plants can add a little pizazz to your next outdoor gathering. When they burn, their smoke gives off a scent that repels mosquitos and adds an inviting aroma.
Alterra Landscape Design is dedicated to bringing you an outdoor living space that you can enjoy all year around. We make sure that the work we do is not only beautiful to the eye, but practical to spend your time in with personal touches like natural mosquito repellent plants. The team is waiting for you to contact us about your landscape design wants and needs in Dallas, Richardson, Plano, McKinney, Frisco, Allen, and Prosper. We can help you fully maximize your property and create a beautiful, new outdoor living space that we know you’ll enjoy all year around.