Alterra, the best landscape design company in Dallas, Richardson, Plano, McKinney and Prosper knows the importance of the proper use of herbicides to control weeds in turf grass.
As spring and summer approaches it’s important to understand the difference in pre and post emergent herbicides.
The following is a quick summary recently posted on www.doityourself.com:
– Used early in the spring, before plants really begin to grow and the weather
– Creates a protective barrier seal around seeds, which prevents the seed from germinating and growing.
– Best applied when the temperature is lower than 60 degrees and the soil is just beginning to warm.
– Apply the herbicide to the soil either by spraying it in liquid form or by spreading it in granular form.
– Water activates the granules.
– Pre-emergent herbicides are only effective on weeds, like crabgrass, that annually sprout from new seeds.
– Do not effectively treat perennial plants like established quack grass because they have a deep root system and simply reemerge every year as the weather warms.
– Used once weeds have started to grow.
– Works by traveling down the plant stalk and into the root system.
– Best to apply the spray after the base of the plant has been cut or torn away because the plant structure will be open and the herbicide will go directly into the plant system.
– Apply several times throughout the growing season. Often, a thorough final application during late fall will help prevent new weeds from growing in the spring and prevent weeds from spreading seeds.
– Understand the difference between specific and non-specific herbicides. Specific herbicides are most commonly used for lawn care and other weed elimination efforts by homeowners. They specifically target weeds and do not usually harm other surrounding or adjacent plants.
– Non-specific herbicides, on the other hand, will kill all plants it comes into contact with. It is most commonly used by landscapers or developers who are clearing a lot or area for a new building or for landscaping purposes.
For your landscape and outdoor living design needs Alterra is the best landscape firm in DFW. We design and build projects that add pleasure to your life and value to your property!